Facebook Advertising is gaining ground and is slowly making waves as a viable Pay Per Click platform. And although Google is still the PPC platform of choice for most Internet marketers and business owners the competition for keywords is ruthless and budgets can disappear faster than expected, especially for the uninitiated.
With Facebook Pay Per Click, marketers will get value for their money as long as they follow Facebook’s strict guidelines. Facebook PPC advertising allows for a well-targeted campaign, with over 600 million users – 50% of whom are actively logged in to Facebook on any given day.
Advertisers can choose to target either by keywords, location, sex, language, political views, workplace, education and relationship status. This makes Facebook a powerful force in the advertising world.
What makes for an effective Facebook Pay Per Click campaign? Below are 6 tips for those starting out in this field:
1. Read and follow Facebook’s advertising procedures. Facebook is very strict with regards to breaching their advertising terms and all advertisers not following the guidelines to the letter will find their ads either rejected, banned or deleted.
2. Choose the right keywords. Before you write your ad copy, make sure to do some research on your targeted keywords. Check out the descriptive words used by Facebook users in their profiles and target the ones that are relevant to your campaign.
3. Make the most out of your allotted advertising space. Facebook ads are limited to 25 characters for the title and 135 characters for the body. That is more than Google allows (25 title characters but only 105 characters for the body – 70 of which are for the actual copy and 35 for the display URL). Users make use of the extra space by adding relevant information that might help encourage clicks.
4. Take the time to evaluate the copy in your ad, make sure the annoying factor is set to very low. Facebook users have the option to close ads that they do not like and this is mostly because the ad is annoying or too pushy. This is a unique feature that only Facebook has out of all the advertising platforms and if an ad has been closed too many times FB will ban that ad and it will no longer be shown to users.
5. Add an image that captures the gist of your copy. Choose an image that visually represents the general idea of your business or product and make sure that it is appealing enough to get people to click through it to know more about your business or product.
6. Only target users who will find your products or services beneficial. Although Facebook gives advertisers the freedom to target users based on different factors (age, location, language, sex, political affiliations, relationship status, interest etc), choosing the wrong ones will spell doom for your advertising campaign. Make sure that your ad is only shown to users that will give you the highest click through and conversion rate.